6/01/2012

Slow Craft


Thursday May 31 was the opening of the Manitoba Crafts Council Annual Juried Exhibition called Slow Craft, of which I was extremely honored to be a part!
Of over 50 artists who submitted work for the show, only 15 were chosen and I am still stunned that I am one of them!


The piece I created titled "Prairie soil profile in plush" is one that I had been working on since hearing the call for submission months and months ago. I carried this thing around me in my backpack and worked on it whenever I had a spare moment, at other craft shows, at lunch break, at Mike's shows while doing the merch table ...
I was almost sad to finish it because I missed having it around with me all the time. But now there it is, on it's own 'plinth' in an art gallery. Thank you Ruth for the photo!

 The opening reception was great, I was most excited to see the show as a whole, see the other works and interpretations of the theme for Slow Craft and also have a greater understanding of what it is like to be a part of something like this show, which comes together when all 15 pieces complement the theme so well.
 It was also very exciting to see many very supportive and familiar faces around me, people who I never would have gotten to know if it were not for "craft" which is what binds us together. I am so honored to be a part of such a wonderful community here in Winnipeg and even globally through other makers and inspirers.
More about the show HERE


3 comments:

Periwinkle Dzyns said...

you are welcome!
it was an awesome opening and I'm so honored to know one of the chosen few :)

Leah said...

That is so cool and so creative! A real Manitoba art piece.

Sharon said...

Holy cow! That is the one of the best soft pieces I've ever seen! Can't believe I missed this show. Great work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails