2/20/2012

Project Ottoman


Here is a project that I have had in my head for a very long time and have actually finally made it a reality! I've wanted to learn how to screen print my own fabric patterns for some time but haven't had the resources .... until earlier this month when I was able to participate at Martha Street Studio once again.

This is my original hand drawn jelly design painted on velum paper with india ink. I used this to create my screen stencil and then printed it randomly on some great smokey gray fabric I found at the thrift store. I didn't want to experiment with expensive new bolts of fabric for my first go, so this was perfect. 

I tried following a guide for creating a grid on the fabric that would give a consistent repeat pattern but I realized after attempting to print that it wasn't going to work out .... I ended up cutting my huge piece of fabric in half and printing randomly which turned out way better.

Then I took apart the $2 ottoman I found at the thrift store some time ago, studied it's anatomy, traced it onto my new jelly fabric and winged it! It worked!

 There are a few things I will do differently next time but for a first go I am very proud of the results.

I am also proud of the huge oak desk I found at the thrift store ( my second home, can you tell?) for only $29! Thank you to Mike for getting it into the van for me and helping me put it into the living room/my studio. It has only been a couple days but already my work flow makes so much more sense and I haven't cracked my knee on the drawers once.


Even freshly organized, my work area quickly becomes a place of creation and chaos!


 I've got a lot of work to do this week in preparation for the Crafty Minions show on March 3rd and a few other submissions for exhibitions but I wanted to show you what I have been up to!

-k

6 comments:

A.A Van Hoof said...

Your ottoman looks awesome! Absolutely professional. Great job, I am jealous and impressed. :D

marysza said...

oh this chair with your own fabric looks amazing! and this pattern is so creative and inspiring! great work!! :))

Cassandra of Pooknflip said...

Kami, that's friggin awesome! I love it! I love the color, the pattern, the lines of the ottoman itself - spectacular job! (Esp for a firsty!)

PS: When r u gonna send me your desk chair? ;) Everytime I find one, they want way too much for it...I might just come steal urs. Lol!

Periwinkle Dzyns said...

freakin' awesome!

marathon1981 said...

thanks so much my friends, I'm super proud of this one! It's such a wonderful feeling to be back at print making too, so many projects so little time!!

Also, the chair is mine!!!!!! ((:

Tawny said...

Gorgeous! I love the personal touch. Awesome sewing as well. It's tough to recover something. Yours turned out fabulous! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails